In one of the riddles about King Solomon, the king is not able to distinguish the difference between the real and artificial twelve lilies presented to him, so he decides to let bees into the room to observe on which lilies they settle. In the series, Sans Odeur (2018) I dwell on this idea of representation and imitation by painting various artificial flowers. Through the ironic approach in painting this subject, I am interested in the polarization between kitsch and handcraft. The process of painting takes on exploring different surfaces, materiality in both interiority and exteriority of this conventional subject in painting. As a result, the articulation and mimic between fake and real surfaces become blurred.
Melanie Loureirob 1995 Cologne. Lives and works in Düsseldorf, Germany.
- 2014 - 2017 Academy of Fine Arts - Dresden - DE
- 2017 - 2019 Kunstakademie Düsseldorf - Düsseldorf - DE
- Solo Exhibitions
- Mimikry- Senatsaal, Dresden
- Group Exhibitions
- 16 Contemporary Artists by Enter Art Foundation - Fabrik45 - Bonn - DE
- Haus der Kunst - Palermo - IT
- Taxen - Kunsthaus Mettmann - Mettmann - DE
- Die Grosse - Klasse Kürten - Museum Kunstpalast - Düsseldorf - DE
- Klasse Macketanz - MKP - Skopje - MK
- I’ve seen a dying eye - Kunstquartier Bethanien - Berlin - DE
To: Melanie Loureiro
Works by Melanie Loureiro