Dirk Mueggenburg’s still-lifes are a result of an obsession with flowers: People use them as symbols to make statements of affection and mourning, and people avoid them as they stand for vulnerability and doomed promises. It seems impossible to view flowers as neutral objects, for their designs arouse either admiration and desire or loathing due to cultural overexposure and negative connotations of kitsch. Dirk Mueggenburg happily gives in to this hate-love relationship and explores a critical engagement with attraction, melancholia and sentiment.
Dirk Müggenburgb 1977 Buchholz. Lives and works in Berlin.
- HAW Hamburg Hamburg, Germany,1999 - 2005
- Diploma Communication Design at Hamburg University of Applied Scienes
- Completed a Diploma under renowned photographer Prof Ute Mahler.
- Awarded a year long schoolarship at Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design Jerusalem focusing on analog and digital photography and image processing
- Deutsche Pop Academy for Music and Media Berlin, Germany, 2012
- Completed with Diplomas in Cameraman and Video Editing
- May 2015 Screening of video work Contemplating Change during TrashEra (2nd Edition) at Neu West Berlin, Germany
- March 2015 Group Exhibition Guest-Room Curated by Katrin Weber- In cooperation with Der Greif, at Galerie 5,6, Munich, Germany
- October 2014 Solo Exhibition The Bait at Pantocrator Gallery, Berlin Germany
- June 2013 Solo Exhibition Basics at D&A Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel
- October 2012 Group Exhibition Wald at Gallery Pavlov’s Dog, Berlin, Germany
- March 2011 Solo exhibition The Adam Perspective: a look at Palestine and Israel removed from man at Franco-German Cultural Center Ramallah, Palestine
- Prize of the Darmstädter Sezession Darmstadt, Germany, 2009
- Honored with nomination, exhibition and publication accompanying the 36th anniversary of the annual Darmstädter Sezession, the renowned German artist union.
- Kodak New Talent Award Hamburg, Germany, 2005
- Award given for the artistic development and creative execution of innovative concepts in photography. Awarded work was nationally promoted with a double spread publication in Photonews magazine.
- Der Greif, “Guest-Room” München, Germany, 2015
- Limited edition, internationally distributed print- und online publication on photography and literature, curated by gallerist Katrin Weber.
- Vorn IV Berlin, German, 2007 Internationally awarded art and design magazine. Photographs were curated by internationally renowned photographer and publisher Joachim Baldauf.
- Photonews, Nr.5 Hamburg, 2005 Photography magazine. Publication of awarded photographs commenting on the conflict in the Middle East, accompanied by an essay by publisher Denis Brudner.
Works by Dirk Müggenburg